Wednesday, October 10, 2012

An Empire Collapses

How can I sleep when my world keeps crumbling
I've watched it happening since I was 11
That fateful day when the twin towers went tumbling
I watched my freedoms get lost in the rubble
And it keeps on happening, worsening, sickening
Never gets better, it seems
We fight false wars to keep people slaves to a system
One that is funded by greed
And I keep getting force-fed these lies
I didn't believe them back then
If you try to brainwash me
You'll have to to better
I've seen from the start through clear eyes
And I sing to myself "We Didn't Start the Fire"
And yet watch the fire still burn
I wonder how there can be so much ignorance still
Even when people lose everything

We're afraid to stand up for our rights
But there's no time like now to stand up and fight
You can say I'm from an ungrateful generation
But maybe we see the world clearer than ever
We have the courage to stand up and say
Don't feed me false hope,
I know I deserve better
And though it keeps sickening me
I see newsflashes
Independent sources crying out for justice
Don't coddle me anymore
I don't need your comforting
Don't need you to say anything
Until your actions show louder than words
That things will get better not worse

Don't strip me of freedoms and say I'm a heretic
Don't paint me a tyrant
When you created the conflict
Don't give us false media
Stop getting greedier
Think for once for the greater good
Don't take away freedoms
To hide all your shortcomings
Don't make us have war when we're at peace
Don't discriminate, don't lie to our face,
Don't discredit us for gender, race, sexuality

It's all lies
And I despise
The direction
We are headed in
Let's stop
Re-examine the facts
I want peace
I want love
And a government I can trust
I want freedoms
To share ideas
For being human
That's no bluff!


How can I sleep when my world keeps crumbling
I've watched it happening since I was 11
That fateful day when the twin towers went tumbling
I watched my freedoms get lost in the rubble
Okay, you made a mistake (we all do)
But just admit it, because hiding it is so much trouble!

No comments:

Post a Comment