Thursday, July 7, 2011

Real Boy

Mama I want to be a real boy
And by boy I mean girl
But does it matter?
That was never what defined me really
And that I am one gender or another was just a random circumstance of biology
The point right now is authenticity

I want to be genuine
I want to be uniquely me
Just like everyone else
And it is just so hard to go beyond the claims
To be brave
To have the courage to stand up for my dreams
But no one else will

We wrestle with holographic lions each day
Because we are afraid
To wrestle with the real ones
And yet here we are fighting the same fight a million times
That we could fight once and be done with
Where is the bravery?

And while I respect the organizations that fight for our freedoms
As human beings
From behind masks both literal and metaphorical
They are just as much behind bars as the rest of us
To afraid to show their faces
Because we still aren't quite ready for change
And it is easier to change collectively

I want to change
Because stagnation is toxic
And the longer I sit here the more I wonder
If I'm not just falling deeper and deeper into this cycle of non-existence
I need to be free
And freedom is the only driving force
It is the core of ambition
It is what makes me human
And sometimes I feel less than human
But I don't need to be
No one needs to be

We are all afraid
And taught to fear
But if we listen to what is inside of us
We can find the key
To being free
To being Whole
I want to be a real boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment